Friday, August 22, 2014

Welcome Back! Part III

(This is the third part of the welcome presented by Dr. Scott at the DACC convocation on Monday, August 18, 2014).

I am here to facilitate our growth in academic excellence, superior student service, and outstanding academic service leading to student success within the context of a welcoming environment where student LEARNING comes first.

So to that end what can you expect from me?

1.  Approachability:  As a president I am responsible for this organization - however, I am a human being who values and respects all people and I believe each person has a perspective that is worthy of being considered.  I want to hear your perspectives.  It is not about agreeing with me, it is about helping me understand your perspective.  It is important to have all perspective heard so that we can make better decisions for this organization. So I value respectful and courtesy debate and discussion. 

2.  Ethics and Integrity:  I believe in doing the right thing, the right way, at the right time for the right reason.  We may debate about what is right, but for me what is right is doing what is in the best interest of DACC.  Not in my best interest, not in any one person's best interest, but in the best interest of DACC.

3.  Transparency:  I believe it is important to put into place the processes and procedures that facilitate our work. Clear processes and procedures make decision making transparent.  I believe in making sure that the DACC community hears about how we conduct our business first.  I believe in saying what I mean and meaning what I say.  To that end I expect you to be transparent also.  If you have a concern I expect you to voice that concern not engage in rumors and speculation that fuels suspicion.  I expect if you have an idea you will share that idea. I expect you will work toward creating transparency in the division in which you serve.

I am not here to be your friend - I am here to be your leader and to make objective decisions in the best interest of DACC.  This is not about me - this is about us. Our mission - our college.  We have been entrusted with these students and WE are responsible to ensure their LEARNING. 

I wish you the very best this semester and year.  It is my honor and pleasure to be your leader. 

No comments:

Post a Comment